Thursday, January 20, 2011

We made it through week one!

This was the longest week in eternity, but now that its over the nerves are starting to relax. These pics are out of order chronologically, but oh well. Here is is one week old picture first. The picture doesn't even do justice to how scrawny he looked next to the football.

He's been waking up good when we come to visit and giving us lots of attention.



Brooklyn came to visit him a few times before she left to Grandma's. I think this picture is so sweet! She just couldn't keep her hands off of him and she loved it when he grabbed her little finger.



These are of our first times holding him, which didn't happen until 4 DAYS after he was born. It was like pure torture. One of the hardest parts for me was having a baby but not getting to connect and bond like normal. I could hardly get out of bed the first few days to come over and see him. Once I got some baby time it was like the giant hole they ripped out of me was slowing starting to fill back up.



So here's the breakdown, mostly for our benefit...this week he had to have 3 different platelet transfusions. His levels are slowly improving. He was on and off the CPAP (the robot looking machine that puts pressure on his lungs to remind him to breath). He made it off CPAP for good! YAY. He is now on a low level of oxygen for a few more days just so he doesn't have to work too hard. He has had a roller coaster with feedings through the tube. Some days he keeps it down and then some days he can't. So no feedings for now. Just nutrients through the IV. We're waiting on results from a brain ultrasound to check for bleeding. Progress is slow, but still progress! On his one week birthday he weighed 2 lbs 12 oz!

9 comments:

Ben & Jessica said...

it's so hard for me to imagine how small he is! and i cant even begin to imagine how it feels for you. if you need ANYTHING, let me know:) the pic of brooklyn's hands is soooo priceless!

Tori said...

I'm so glad you guys finally got to hold him. I can't even imagine how hard this must be for you guys. You are in our prayers. Oh..And I love the picture where Brooklyn is holding his hand!

Colton said...

I'm glad he's improving! You guys are in my thoughts and prayers still...

Brooke and Brian said...

Meagan, I am glad he is here with you to physically hold and is doing better. I read quick through your blog to see what was going on, but I don't know if I missed why you had stopped feeling him move, and why he was born so early. I am sorry to make you relive everything and if I am being too impersonal please disreguard my request for more information. I am so curious because I am pregnant, due in July, and have had some issues with my Dr.'s (so far baby seems fine) by my Dr told me she couldn't hear a heart beat and that I shouldn't get attached to the baby, just in case. Anyway, I just want to be prepared in case something happens that feels abnormal or against what the Dr's say. I hope everything is ok now and I hope everything turns out with Josh's job. Was he at UOP when he got laid off? I can ask my bro in law in mesa if they are hiring (a software company that a few people from UOP have worked at/currently work at) if you need more leads. Hopefully everything works out for Flag or Eager though. Brian is kind of in the same position, needing something somewhere. ANyway,let me know if there is anything I can do.

Shannon said...

What a blessing he is doing well He and Byron can share a birthday together. You guys are in our thoughts and prayers. If you do end up coming my way, let me know and I'll help look for a place to live.

Sariah,Chief Editor said...

Thank you for all the updates...blogging it really is in some ways therapeutic isn't it. I have been thinking often of all of you. You guys can do this!! Love you,Sariah

p.s. He truly is precious!

**Mumzy said...

So glad he is doing better. You have been in our prayers. **Tonya

MattnLiz said...

so glad you finally got to hold him :) thanks for sharing your experience. love you guys

Jones Family said...

He is totally precious! That is sooo tiny!!