I think sometimes it's hard to recognize those tender mercies from the Lord until you receive one so big it changes your life forever. This last week has been such a whirlwind it's hard to know what I can convey and what I can't, but I want to try to tell our story so I remember what a challenging and special time this has been.
Last Tuesday the 11th Josh and I spent the day mulling over big changes for our family. Josh was layed off the last week in November and we have been looking for new work and new options. He was offered a position in Flagstaff and we also have an opportunity to go to Eagar among other things. I spent Tuesday at the temple and that night we went back and forth for hours trying to make a decision about where to go. Nothing felt quite right and I was beside myself with anxiety. So I asked Josh for a blessing. I got some of the peace I needed and remember him reminding me that when things got harder than I could bear I needed to remember I could rely on the Savior.
I woke up the next morning after a restless night and as we layed in bed I realized the baby wasn't moving like usual. He was almost always active in the morning and I started thinking and realized he hadn't moved the morning before either and I couldn't remember the last time he had moved. I started to panick and got a hold of my doctor asap. They told me to go to the hospital and get the baby monitored. I went alone so Josh could watch the kids. After registering and waiting around I finally got back and the nurse hooked up the heart monitor. She couldn't find a heart beat and I felt like my world was over. I just knew he was gone. After what felt like an eternity she finally found him. The heartbeat was very faint. After about 15 minutes she called my OB and they decided to do an ultrasound. After that everything went really fast. My OB came and did a quick ultrasound and found that there were only small pockets of amniotic fluid. My placenta was small and that baby wasn't responding at all. The more in-depth ultrasound called a biophysical came next. Basically on the scale of 1-4 all of his critical levels came back at a zero. As soon as that number was announced they took me immediately back for an emergency c-section. Josh made it just in time to see them cut the baby out.
I couldn't see anything. But Josh says he was dark purple and tiny as can be. They started pumping his lungs right away. As soon as I heard his little cry I started to feel a little more relief. I felt so many emotions and there was so much going on in that moment that I just can't describe. It was just a miracle that our sweet little baby made it into the world alive. He was first declared 3 lbs 4 oz. They later decided that number was probably wrong and he was more like 2 lbs 9 oz. He was only 31 and a half weeks (8.5 weeks too early). So, Carter Paul Rogers birthday is January 12, 2011 rather than sometime in March.
I kind of feel like I could write a novel about what all went on. It also kind of feels good to vent it out! But I think I'll move along to a few facts about how he's doing. This is my first time feeding him. He has a feeding tube going to his stomach, an IV in his stomach to give him nutriets because he can't really digest much yet, and a CPAP machine and puts pressure on his lungs to help him remember to breath. Based on his current status everyone says he looks great all things considered. We are counting on at least a month in the NICU maybe more depending on how things go.
He's the tiniest little thing I've ever seen. All of the healthy newborns around look enormous! This marks the beginning of a long process of ups and downs. I know it will be hard and it couldn't have happened at a worse time, but I also know that the Lord is with us and that no matter how hard things are he can make everything easier to bare.
Wednesday, January 19, 2011
Blessings...
Posted by
Meagan Rogers
at
6:59 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
I am so glad everything went well and that they were able to get him out alive and that he is doing well. You all are in my thoughts and prayers constantly. I know times are crazy for you but it could have been so much worse. Continue to turn to the Lord for peace and comfort and it will all work out. Can't wait to meet him! Love you guys!
Oh he is so tiny. I will keep your little family in my prayers. He is so precious. He came so early. I hope your family is doing ok.
Wow. Seeing those pictures really brings back a flood of memories. I wish I could say being in the NICU gets easier but it definitely just sucks. But the day he gets to come home will be the best day ever so hang in there!! We're praying for all of you!
How scary! I've had to have a baby literally ripped form me too and it's fast and scary. He's so tiny, but perfect all in the same. We had to feed Todd the same way. You'll be glad you have pics to document. I didn't take any because I didn't want to remember him with a tube down his noise, but now I wish I had some. We'll be keeping you guys in our prayers! Congrats, though it's a little premature. ;)
You guys are in our prayers. I get a huge smile everytime I get an update from you two. Let me know if you need any more meals...or even just someone to chat with, I'm sure Josh gets boring sometimes! Love you all!
I'm so glad that he is doing well. What a scary thing to have to go through! I'll be praying for you and I hope that you will get to bring your sweet baby home soon!
Love you guys!
He is such a blessing. I am just glad that everything has gone so well since he has been born.
Ahh, Megan . . . THANK YOU For Sharing Your Journey So Far. Did You Know That Aubrie Was Born At 35Weeks, Zero Days - ?! She Weighed 4Pounds, 14ounces But Came Home To St. Johns At 4lbs,10oz. & 17inches long. i Went InTo Labor At 22Weeks & Was Flown By Jet To Good Samaritan Where i Spent The Next Three-and-One-Half Months IN Bed - i Could NOT Even Sit Up & Was ONLY Allowed To Lay On One Side OR The Other. i Went InTo Labor THREE Times!!
If You Aren't Already, You Are Going To Be Totally AMAZED At What Your Heavenly Father Provides For YOU, YOUR Family & Most Importantly, Carter!!
We Love YOU, Rogers Family ~ HugS ALL Around!!
I heard you had your baby early so I came blog hopping to see and have sat here with tears in my eyes as I read your story. So so scary. I hope your little man grows and gets strong quickly. Glad you're okay and that he's doing as well as he is
WOW what a story. I am so glad it had a good ending and that he is getting stromger! Good luck.
OH man, I bawled reading this! I feel so badly for any parents having to go through this and it makes me so grateful for not having to. I'm so glad he's doing well:-)
Post a Comment