Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Trouble


This should be a picture and a post about how happy we are that our little Carter is coming home. Instead you get a picture of him all loaded up to hop in the ambulance and move into a new NICU over at Banner Desert. We won't have a lot of details yet, but basically he hasn't been gaining weight like he should. They have been trying a few different things like extra calories and incubating him. They ran a nutrition analysis and found out that his billiruben levels are WAY too high. It is different from when newborns get jaundice. This is more of a long-term issue. His liver is not functioning properly so we have to go to a different hospital that has the ability to run the tests and work with GI tract specialists. It feels like we were getting so close! Now it feels like we are starting over. It may or may not effect his timeline for coming home. It can be something as simple as medication to treat his billi levels or as serious as liver failure (and everything in between of course). Hopefully we'll know by the end of the week. Until then looks like a bit more time in the hospital.

14 comments:

Bailey said...

oh meagan, sorry to hear this. please call, i can watch the kiddos!!

Tori said...

Oh no. Poor little thing. And poor parents. I hope everything goes okay. Keep us updated.

Julie Barnes said...

oh meagan, I am so sorry to hear you little guy will need to stay longer in the NICU. Edward was only in the nicu for a week and it was really hard to not be able to hold him when I wanted to. I will keep prayers going for you and your little man.

Brittany said...

:( this is so sad. I can only imagine how hard this is on the both of you. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Hopefully now they can find the issue and get him healthy. I love you.

jasonandjannafamily said...

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help

Colton said...

You have my prayers.

Daneece Hernandez, founder of Principle Based Happiness said...

Sorry to hear about the complications. We will keep you all in our prayers, and hope for the best. It has been almost 9 years since Thomas was in the NICU, but it is still very fresh in my mind. It was very life changing to have to rely so heavily on others to take care of my little, and rely on the Lord to help us through it. I hope you will soon be taking him home to love and enjoy 24/7.

**Mumzy said...

Prayers are with you. *Tonya

Heather said...

I am so sorry to hear this Meagan. We will keep you guys in our prayers. I am available to watch your kids anytime. If we can do anything to help please let us know. Sending lots of love your way.

Sariah,Chief Editor said...

i can imagine how discouraging that would be...keep the faith & keep your heads up! Love you guys!

Rick*Amber*Taryn*Bryant said...

I am so sorry Meagan! I know how it is to have one in the hospital, but this is way more than what I went through! Best of luck! We will keep your family in our prayer!

Anonymous said...

Our prayers are with your family. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Shannon said...

Oh man! I'm so sorry to hear. I truly hope he gets better soon and all will be well. You guys are in our thoughts and prayers.

The Lovells said...

Meagan-
I hope you're holding up okay!!! I've been thinking about you a ton. I need your number! Wish I was closer so I could help. Love ya, Celeste